Historic Dam trail
Description: On May 16, 1874, The Mill River Flood disaster claimed 139 lives and devastated the villages of Williamsburg, Skinnnerville, Haydenville and Leeds. The flood resulted from the failure of a dam which had been constructed by local mill owners three miles north of the Village of Williamsburg. The 600 million gallons of water that burst from the dam destroyed dozens of mills and houses and changed the appearance and the course of our town's history forever.
The ruins of the dam still exist today in the woods north of Williamsburg, but until 2018 there was no access to the site for the general public. Adjacent landowners and the Northampton Water Department (which owns the site of the ruins) collaborated with the Trails Committee to develop a pedestrian trail from Ashfield Road to the Dam ruins. The trail tells the story of the Flood and also the 250 year history of the Hemenway family farm and forest management in the Hilltowns. The completed trail features three footbridges, several plank bridges, a kiosk, benches, and interpretive signs.
This trail is approximately 1.5 miles total, of moderate difficulty, with some steep/rugged portions. Sturdy hiking shoes are recommended. The trail is closed in winter.
The Trails Committee thanks all of the volunteers and supporters who have made this possible! Material costs were covered by grants, vendor donations, a town meeting request, and contributions from local businesses and individuals.
Location: From Williamsburg center take Ashfield Road approximately three miles. Parking is located just before the Judd Lane intersection. Look for the Historic Dam Trail sign.
Click HERE for trail map. (Trail closed in winter.)
This project was funded in part by Mass Humanities, which receives support from the Massachusetts Cultural Council and is an affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities.